[mrtg] Re: MRTG History...or Interactive MRTG revisited

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu Mar 4 19:45:00 MET 2004

PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
[snip]

> Sure, you can certainly do this.  You just need to adjust the 5 minute
> RRA when you create the RRD.  There is a section in cfgmaker that
> defines what RRA's are created within an RRD, and you just need to
> increase this.  We are using regular MRTG to poll the values,
> 14all to display, and a custom program to select a specific 24 hour
> period to show 5 minute values for any day since we started
> the collection
> for up to a year (in some cases up to 4 years) back.
>
> Paul

See that, you learn something new every day.
Does adjusting the 5 minute RRA increase the size of the RRD? If so, it
might be prohibitive for me to try this approach.
Where can I read more on this, is it in the RRDTool docs, or does the
cfgmaker manual go into detail?

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)