[mrtg] Re: MRTG History...or Interactive MRTG revisited

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Mar 4 23:25:03 MET 2004

>I was just going through the history of this list and found a
>post regarding an "Interactive MRTG"...I'm not sure if this
>was ever developed or not...but what it sounds like, and what
>I'm looking for, is some way to display all of the older log
>data in the "Day" view.  I mean...maybe I could type in a date
>and have MRTG pull the logs for that date and then display the
>data in the "Day" graph...instead of the week, month, year...I
>guess just for the added detail.  Thanks for any info on this...
If I may be permitted to plug my offering...

If you use RRD for your backend, then the routers2.cgi frontend will do most
of this.  It has three features you might want to use --
1) extended RRDs. You can have double-length RRD files, so you get a
'yesterday' graph as well as a 'today' graph, and so on.
2) Graph archiving -- you can archive individual graphs for later retrieval
at any time.
3) RRD archiving (this is probably the one you want).  A nightly job
archives your .rrd files, and then the frontend allows you to select which
archive to generate the graphs from, in addition to the 'live' rrd.  This
sounds like the functionality you are after.  This obviously needs a fair
amount of disk space for the archive, remember.

This is all working in v2.13 and later.  V2.14beta is on the web site also,
although 2.14 proper is due out soon(ish).

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Size: 155 bytes