[mrtg] Re: Moving from MRTG to RRD - Windoze

Bigelow, Andrea L. BigelowA at SEC.GOV
Wed Mar 10 20:51:09 MET 2004

> Thankyou, you have just explained a really pernicious bug in the
> routers2.cgi trending analysis module.  Since the trending
> analysis also
> uses a similar method to generate a tempoary RRD file, it is
> being affected
> by this -- I just could not work out how some people were getting this
> behaviour (negative, and spiked results in the trending
> graph).  So, it
> appears it is a bug in later versions of RRD for windows.
>
> I wonder if Tobi knows about this?

It may not be confined to Windows, Steve. I'm running MRTG with routers2
v2.11 and RRDTool on a FreeBSD system, polling roughly 75 devices, and I see
this behavior as well. I've seen cases where incoming traffic on a link is 4
MB and outgoing traffic on the other end of the link spikes up to 20 MB.

Andi L. Bigelow
Dyncorp EOS - Network Engineering Group
United States Securities and Exchange Commission
bigelowa{at}sec{dot}gov
(202) 942-4368

"Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -- Braveheart