[mrtg] Re: MRTG/RRD

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu Mar 11 17:17:24 MET 2004

>After trying 14all, routers2, and MRTG-RRD, I love the speed and
>simplicity of MRTG-RRD.  Its way faster than the other two, and I
>like the output better as it most closely resembles the non-RRD
>output of MRTG with Rateup.

>Routers2 looks to be the most comprehensive with options galore, but
>it would require me to make a lot of changes to my hundreds of
>config files in order for it to format correctly.

I user routers2.cgi myself, and I can't imagine trying anything else
without being convinced of very serious benefits. I have the advantage
of having used this front-end since my very first MRTG setup over 3
years ago, so my config files include most of the nifty features. New
features added to configs can be automated with MRTG templates too, so
then you would only have to re-run cfgmaker rather than change the
configs by hand (Although I must admit, I'm not yet an expert with
templates).

As far as speed is concerned, routers2.cgi can seem a little slow when
there are many targets on a single page, although recently work has been
done to include a speedycgi option which should improve performance
dramatically.

Since they all would access the same rrd files, I would think that it
shouldn't be too difficult to run them all side by side and compare.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)