[mrtg] Question regarding W2K3 and MRTG

Greg Nottage gregn at vmc.com
Fri Mar 12 14:59:32 MET 2004

Hello,

Please can someone help me?  I am trying to run MRTG v2.10.5 on my newly
built Windows Server 2003 standard box.  The box has all the latest
updates from MS.  I have ActiveState ActivePerl 5.8.3 build 809
installed.

The problem I'm getting is when I try to run MRTG using the
--logging=eventlog switch.  I get the following errors:

Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
C:/Perl/site/lib/Win32/EventLog.pm line 73.

Argument "Started mrtg\n" isn't numeric in subroutine entry at
C:/Perl/site/lib/Win32/EventLog.pm line 46.

Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at
C:/Perl/site/lib/Win32/EventLog.pm line 199.

Argument "WARN" isn't numeric in subroutine entry at
C:/Perl/site/lib/Win32/EventLog.pm line 199.

Daemonizing MRTG ...

Do Not close this window. Or MRTG will die

I assume it has something to do with the Event Log being more protected
in Windows Server 2003?  If I remove the switch, it runs without error -
but of course it doesn't log into the Application Log.

Any ideas will be hugely appreciated :-)

Kind Regards,

greg nottage

europe systems administrator

vmc consulting europe ltd