[mrtg] Re: PRTG versus MRTG

Jim Witherell jwitherell at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 16 23:57:07 MET 2004

I use MRTG for alot of things. In recent history, I've shown management
some graphs of WAN link utilization and internet utilization in the past
few months. PRTG does some things pretty well, but I like the routers2.cgi
interface alot better, and was in the process of exploring some other ways
to make the information better organized. PRTG doesn't really allow you to
deviate much from its interface.

Also, I've noticed a killer memory leak on both the version I originally
used, and on the upgrade that I got. I have to shut it down and restart it
twice a week to free up the memory. Setting it up and running it as a
service doesn't allow you to access the application to make modifications
unless you shut down the service and restart it as the application.

In short, I actually have to convince management why I should be able to
use MRTG. I think it's a superior package, and I don't like being told that
I have to use a tool that is inferior. I figure if I can solve the pretty
graph issue and state my case logically, I *might* be OK.

Jim Witherell
Cincinnati, Ohio

             "Bigelow, Andrea
             L."
             <BigelowA at SEC.GOV                                          To
             >                         Jim Witherell/Middletown/IBM at ibmus
                                                                        cc
             03/16/2004 05:42
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       RE: [mrtg] PRTG versus MRTG

> -If you were to say why MRTG is better than PRTG, what would
> *you* say. I
> have a list of things, but I want to make it a slam dunk.

My main argument is, this is not a beauty contest, it's informational. Does
PRTG provide all the information you need? If not, why bother with it?

Andi