[mrtg] PRTG versus MRTG

Jim Witherell jwitherell at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 16 23:39:17 MET 2004

Hello, all. I've been told by management that they like the prettier graphs
PRTG (the very similar package for $50 at http://www.paessler.com/) makes
better than the standard ones in MRTG. The whole reason PRTG is even in
here is sort of an accident.

I'd much rather use MRTG, and have recently reinstalled it with RRDTool on
WinXP using the very nice prepackaged install "MRTG Bundle 2.0.2" provided
by Chris Dos (see the companion links page). MRTG Bundle 2.0.2 uses
Routers2.cgi, which makes the graphs look even more different, which isn't
necessarily bad. But... I could see where management might think that they
are even "uglier" because they provide even more detail than the base
graphs in MRTG.

So, the questions are:

-If you were to say why MRTG is better than PRTG, what would *you* say. I
have a list of things, but I want to make it a slam dunk.
-Also, are you aware of other things that can be done to "beautify" the
graphs, to produce similar pretty output that PRTG creates? I have to say,
they did a nice job on the graphics.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Jim Witherell
Cincinnati, Ohio