[mrtg] Re: Cisco 3550/VLAN

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Mon Mar 22 17:58:10 MET 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <caleb at intruix.net>
To: <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 2:30 PM
Subject: [mrtg] Cisco 3550/VLAN

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but from the posts
I've seen, no
one seemed to really answer the question. We're running a Cisco 3550
Catalyst,
and I'm trying to monitor throughput of a given VLAN. The only thing
that I'm
able to do right now is produce MRTG reports on VLAN showing
extremely small
traffic -- as in 100 or below bits per second. (not kilobit -- BIT)
This is
impossible as the actual port on the switch itself reports 600kbps.
But the
VLAN attached to a given switchport doesn't seem to report that
traffic.

I even tried changing MRTG to reference the switch's IP of a given
VLAN's IP
block -- still, no go.

This is starting to drive me nuts.

Anyone run into this, or have any suggestions?!

Thanks!

-Caleb
Intruix Tech, Inc.

-----

In my experience, it seems that Cisco reports traffic on a vlan that
has passed from one vlan to another.  Since all that traffic is on
the same vlan, it doesn't report that bit rate.  I was puzzled by
this at first as well, and never did get an official answer from
Cisco.  However, I can tell you that on my multi-vlan 4006 I get a
large amount of traffic reported on each vlan as a lot of data
traverses back and forth across them all.  But on my edge network
switches, the vlan report shows next to nothing.

HTH,

Eric Brander
Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb dot com