[mrtg] Re: Too many dos windows open...any better way?

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 15:36:05 MET 2004

> We run MRTG and use one config file for each device which we graph, and
thus
> one dos box is open for each config file running in daemon mode....this
> totals about 45 dos windows open and its tough to manage this number of
> windows...is there any better way of doing this?  Sometime I need to
find a
> particular instance of MRTG in which I've got to hover my mouse over
every
> window until the config file name pops up and then I can stop the
graphing
> or whatever.  Thanks
In one (new) config file, you "Include" the other files.
Then you run that one new config.
(or split half the load into each of two new files....etc....)
Logically, it sucks in all the included configs, and builds one big one in
memory, and runs that. Beware global settings!

I do not RunAsDaemon, but use MrDaemon to fire up the config every 5 mins.
Then changes to individual config files are sucked in automatically.

A structured config approach lends itself very nicely to upgrading to
Routers2.cgi and RRD.

Peter