[mrtg] Re: Number of ports up.

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Thu May 6 09:36:56 MEST 2004

> I was wondering if anyone monitors how many ports on a switch are
functioning?  If so, how do you do it?  I took at the MIBS and didn't find
a OID for this.  Most of my switches are Cisco 3500 or 3500xl.
MRTG supports the imaginary ifOperHack and ifAdminHack. (Operationally
Up/Down and Administered Up/Down)
I use at Target of
ifOperHack.[interface#]&ifAdminHack.[interface#]:public at IPaddress for each
interface
This shows 0 or 1 for each.
Using the UserDefinedGraph option of Routers2.cgi, I can then add these
all up, and graph the number of ports for each switch, as well as checking
the status of each port.

Peter