[mrtg] Re: mrtg of Cisco routers via Internet fails

Nejaa Halcyon nejaa at racc2000.com
Tue May 11 14:52:11 MEST 2004

I don't really have a solution for you, more like sharing my similar tale
of woe...

I have as of yet been unable to successfully monitor any of the Paradyne
DSLAMs we use. Best I can figure (without devoting a ton of time to the
problem) is that Paradyne uses specific MIBs and that the generic network
usage and device info OIDs that MRTG send don't make since to Paradyne. I
get a very similar error message to the one you posted.

It appears that the hardware didn't even get the request, but I think the
senario is more like:

-MRTG server sends poll
-DSLAM receives, tries to interpret and says "what the hell is this? I
can't do anything with this." and drops
-MRTG server times out waiting for a response

Bottom line for me: oh well, no big loss. There's no need for me to go
total Big Brother and monitor the usage of every customer individually. I
can get usage per 12 port card (via Catalyst switch) and that's good
enough for me. There are more important things to do (like post to this
ML).

Hope that helps.

-Nejaa

On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:10:58 +0200, <tom.voussure at sita.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I monitor my network (cisco routers) with MRTG and it workes really
> great...
>
> But I have a problem with monitoring routers via Internet.
>
> I have several Internet connection. Some or completely separated from our
> main network.
>
> So to monitor these routers, i have to go thru a firewall, on the
> internet,
> to the other router.
> (mrtg server --> firewall --> INTERNET --> router)
>
> I always get the same error:
> --base: Get Device Info on xxx at 210.88.234.215:
> SNMP Error:
> no response received
> SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "210.88.234.215" [210.88.234.215].161)
>                   community: ""xxx"
>                  request ID: -1222128975
>                 PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
>                     timeout: 2s
>                     retries: 5
>                     backoff: 1)
>  at /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm line 570
> SNMPWALK Problem for 1.3.6.1.2.1.1 on xxx at 210.88.234.215.
>  at /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/cfgmaker line 709
>

> If a try a snmpget i get also "Timeout, no response from ..."
>
> Now, I'm sure that the snmp settings on the router are correct. The
> router
> is configured the same way as all my other routers.
> The firewall settings are also correct. I get no deny's in the logs.
>
> I've also tried changing the packetsize of the snmp-packets send by the
> router, but it doesn't help....
>
> Anybody any idea ?
>

> thx,
> tom
>
> --

"Hackers and academics have uncovered one Windows security hole after
another, turning Microsoft into a frantic little Dutch boy at the dike
without enough fingers."
-- David Pogue, The New York Times