[mrtg] Re: mrtg of Cisco routers via Internet fails

tom.voussure at sita.be tom.voussure at sita.be
Tue May 11 15:05:37 MEST 2004

Hi,

thx for the quick reply ...

the firewall is configured correctly.
SNMP (udp 161) is allowed from the mrtg-server to the internet. (and I
don't get any deny's in the firewall logs).

I tried to connect to the wan ip adres of the router and the ethernet, but
the result is the same ...
(ping & telnet works, snmp not)...

I've also created a rule on the firewall that allows any ip traffic between
the mrtg-server and router but it didn't help...

Kind regards,

tom

                      Merton Campbell
                      Crockett                 To:      tom.voussure at sita.be
                      <mcc at CATO.GD-AIS         cc:      mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
                      .COM>                    Subject: Re: [mrtg] mrtg of Cisco routers  via Internet fails

                      11/05/2004 14:26

On Tue, 11 May 2004 tom.voussure at sita.be wrote:

> But I have a problem with monitoring routers via Internet.
>
> I have several Internet connection. Some or completely separated from our
> main network.
>
> So to monitor these routers, i have to go thru a firewall, on the
internet,
> to the other router.
> (mrtg server --> firewall --> INTERNET --> router)
>
> I always get the same error:
> --base: Get Device Info on xxx at 210.88.234.215:
> SNMP Error:
> no response received
> SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "210.88.234.215" [210.88.234.215].161)
>                   community: ""xxx"
>                  request ID: -1222128975
>                 PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
>                     timeout: 2s
>                     retries: 5
>                     backoff: 1)
>  at /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm line 570
> SNMPWALK Problem for 1.3.6.1.2.1.1 on xxx at 210.88.234.215.
>  at /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/cfgmaker line 709
>

> If a try a snmpget i get also "Timeout, no response from ..."

The "no response received" indicates that the firewall is not configured
to allow UDP packets

   (1)             from the "Internet" to the system that is running MRTG
or
   (2)             to the "Internet" from the system that is running MRTG.

As UDP can be used for downloading malware, you don't want to allow UDP to
cross over your security perimeter.  You need to construct specific rules
that allow UDP port 161 traffic between your routers and the MRTG system.
Also, be sure to specify the IP address of the router that is "nearest"
the MRTG system.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:                                                 vcard
VERSION:                                   3.0