[mrtg] configure mrtg for a 1000M network router

George Lin george_mrtg at hotmail.com
Wed May 12 16:21:55 MEST 2004

Hello, everyone!

I am assigned a task to configure mrtg for a 1000M network router. I have
some experiences before to configure mrtg to monitor a 100M network router,
so the basic configuration is not a problem. But a friend told me that mrtg
can not work smoothly with high speed network (for example, 1000M network)
without snmp V2 enabled and rrdtool enabled. And the interval mrtg script
runs should be 1 minute (as short as possible). I previously use 5 minute
interval in crontab to enable mrtg to monitor 100M router.

My friends' words make me puzzled. To avoid additional problems when
configure mrtg for 1000M router. Anyone who has solid experiences can give
me help? What additional things should I care?

Very truly,
George