[mrtg] Re: configure mrtg for a 1000M network router

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Wed May 12 16:49:15 MEST 2004

George Lin wrote:

>Hello, everyone!
>

>I am assigned a task to configure mrtg for a 1000M network router. I have
>some experiences before to configure mrtg to monitor a 100M network router,
>so the basic configuration is not a problem. But a friend told me that mrtg
>can not work smoothly with high speed network (for example, 1000M network)
>without snmp V2 enabled and rrdtool enabled. And the interval mrtg script
>runs should be 1 minute (as short as possible). I previously use 5 minute
>interval in crontab to enable mrtg to monitor 100M router.
>
>My friends' words make me puzzled. To avoid additional problems when
>configure mrtg for 1000M router. Anyone who has solid experiences can give
>me help? What additional things should I care?
>

>Very truly,
>George

32-bit counters on links that speed will often wrap within a 5-minute
period. SNMP v2 uses 64-bit counters and therefore won't wrap for quite
some time. So your options are:

Use the 64-bit counters and continue to poll every 5 minutes or

Use the 32-bit counters and poll more frequently to avoid counter wrap.

I recommend the first option as it is significantly easier to deal with
if your device supports it. The 2nd option requires an RRDTool
conversion which can be a large task for a novice.

HTH,

Eric Brander