[mrtg] Data Usage graph

Jonathan Maliepaard jon at enetworks.co.za
Thu May 13 18:51:33 MEST 2004

Hi

Please can anyone help me, I have been trying to get this to work for
about a week and am making little progress. I have been through the list
archives, but have not found anything like this so far.

I run a small ISP and I have certain contracts with clients that get
billed on usage on fixed lines. I have a router that I can monitor with
SNMP. I currently use MRTG to monitor throughput on the lines and that
works well.

What I want to do is have a graph that grows from the first of the month
and shows total usage (in+out) in mega/gigabytes so that when the client
moves through the threshold of say 30 gigabytes they can see they are
over the limit and can scale usage for the rest of the month.

I have already tried using normal bandwidth configs, to poll the
IfInOctets and IfOutOctets but instead changing the option to "gauge"
and this seems to achieve what I am after, but today it hit a max of
2160MB and that is where the graph has flatlined. I would ideally to
show usage in Gigabytes only.

Has anyone done this and if so please could I have an example config. I
am getting the feeling that this is a job for rrdtool but before I go
down that road please can someone tell me.

Kind regards

Jon.