[mrtg] Re: Mrtg daemon dying

Nejaa Halcyon nejaa at racc2000.com
Mon May 17 17:28:27 MEST 2004

It would be a better idea to run mrtg every 5 min from con.

That way, not only to you sidestep the daemon issue but mrtg will generate
an error email instead of ignoring the router in question. That alert
message is a valuable network monitoring tool for me.

I've gotten SNMP timeout messages due to errors cycling on my Ts as much
as an hour before the line went down/down and my pager went off. That
alert to a potential major problem give me valuable lead time.

Nejaa

On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:17:43 +0200, Micha Silver <Micha at arava.co.il> wrote:

> I am running mrtg on a Fedora Core server monitoring both a cisco router
> and
> another Linux box that serves as a router. Mrtg(version mrtg-2.10.5)
> runs in
> daemon mode.
>
> Sometimes we lose the connection to the remote linux router (due to power
> outages or network problems). When this happens, it seems that the mrtg
> daemon dies. After the remote connection is restored, I restart mrtg and
> all
> is well again, but that's a bit of a pain...
>
> Is there any config option to tell mrtg to ignore the router that it
> can't
> connect to?
>
> TIA,
> Micha

"Hackers and academics have uncovered one Windows security hole after
another, turning Microsoft into a frantic little Dutch boy at the dike
without enough fingers."
-- David Pogue, The New York Times