[mrtg] Re: mrtg newbie

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Tue May 25 16:33:04 MEST 2004

Oswin Budiman wrote:

> i'm trying to configure mrtg for broadband router (DLink 740P) which act as internet gateway for about 15 people in the network. I've followed the manual, but it still couldn't set up well. i run the following command:
>
> - perl cfgmaker public at 192.168.1.1 --global "WorkDir: c:\www\" --output router.cfg
> - perl mrtg router.cfg
>
> and the content of router.cfg output is as follow,

~snip~
> ### Interface 1 >> Descr: 'Ethernet-WAN' | Name: '' | Ip: '' | Eth: '00-0d-88-00-79-f5' ###
> ### The following interface is commented out because:
> ### * has a speed of 0 which makes no sense

This is key.  CFGMaker created the cfg, but the SNMP on the device
reported that the interface speed was 0.  Therefore CFGMaker commented
out the section for that interface.  This is common as some devices
don't seem to properly report their speed in SNMP.  Try uncommenting
this section by removing the # signs. (# in perl indicates a comment
follows).

~snip~
> n btw, can i make the bandwith graphic for each IP in my network? So i can know every traffic from every IP in my network. Or is there any tools that can do that?

Using an email program that limites the line length would be appreciated
by all list members.

> Thx in advance.
>
> BR,
>

> "How can one knows the best if one hasn't experience the worst yet?"

www.engrish.com - comedy in language translation

Have fun,

Eric Brander