[mrtg] Re: MRTG for Windows

Joseph Pierini JPierini at mmlive.com
Tue Nov 2 20:00:06 MET 2004

Begin by seeing if you can poll your system using Getif, the application and
instructions can be found here: http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm

If you can't "walk the MIB" using Getif on this system, then you're having
connectivity problems or SNMP is not really set up on that server.

By the way, this site http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/default.htm is an
invaluable tool for getting familiar with SNMP and MRTG on Windows. The
author also goes into several other collection techniques using MRTG. Garth
K. Williams is an asset to the community and a lot of what I learned I owe
to him and people like him.

If you want to use Performance Counters instead of SNMP, look into the perl
scripts developed by Paul Simmonson. His personal web site is down, but you
can search Google for Paul Simmonson & MRTG and find his information all
over the place. Paul is another person I owe a lot to.

This site can also get you started on MRTG on Windows using WMI:
http://snmpboy.msft.net/. This is where I found the basic scripts that I
learned with and could then modify for my own use as I became more
confident.

Once you're up to speed on how to use WMI with MRTG, download Scriptomatic
to quickly and easily get the parameters to write your own scripts:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=9ef0
5cbd-c1c5-41e7-9da8-212c414a7ab0

And always reply to the list with your questions so everyone can benefit
from your experience.

Take your time and have fun,

Joseph Pierini