[mrtg] Re: Graph settings

Peter Glanville Peter_Glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 10:27:14 MET 2004

> I have noticed that a sudden dramatic increase in traffic causes my
graphs
> to be "crushed".  I would like to be able to keep the graph scale the
same,
> from 0 to the maximum available bandwidth for the router (connected to a
T1,
> so 1.5 Mbps).  I would also like to be able to change the units of
> measurement, from Bps to bps.  What changes do I need to make to my
> configuration file to bring about these changes?

"MaxBytes" is the parameter to do 3 things.
1. set vertical axis
2. limits 'acceptable' data
3. be used as a basis for percentage calculations.

(1) can be ove-ruled with the "Unscaled" entry
(2) can be over-ruled with "AbsMax"

Sounds like your MaxBytes is too high. Note: that's MaxBYTES and not bits.

1.5Mbps is Maxbytes of 187500
Then the values above 1.5 will be dropped and the graph will not adjust
itself.

Bps -> bps
Use the "Option" 'bits' (default is bytes) Does not affect collection or
calculations, just display.

Peter