[mrtg] Re: Problems with MRTG using ifDescr, MRTG upgrade question.

Matthew Petach mpetach at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 19:54:21 MET 2004

--- Lars Goldschlager <lars.gold at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings, I write for we use MRTG 2.5 in a production enviroment and
> as such I need to post loyal Mrtg users here two questions/problems.
>
> a) I am thinking of updating MRTG to the latest (2.10.15) can you
> foresee any changes in the configuration syntax or libraries
> requirements from mrtg 2.5 to 2.10? This is a production system so the
> update should be as painless as possible.

Your libraries will change when you do the upgrade; I upgraded
from 2.9.7 to 2.10.15, and found that my old customized cfgmaker
scripts all broke, since the libraries had changed.  I'd suggest
installing 2.10.15 into a separate directory tree, and testing
it for a day against one target (run it in parallel with your
existing monitoring).  That way, you can identify trouble spots
without impacting your production monitoring.

> b) I am presenting a trouble using ifDescr for MRTG with the \
> notation:
> Target[myrouter]: \My-Interface2:public at x.x.x.x
> In this case my problem is the following, this seems to work (or could
> work) with normal ifDescr names, the problem arises with descriptions
> that include a dot, for example "Serial4/0.560" (very common in our
> frame relay routers), the trouble here is that when I feed MRTG the
> interface number this works well (saddly being dynamically rearranged
> in cisco routers if we ever restart the router the interfaces are
> bound to change numbers if there was any change in config at all.)
> trouble is, when trying to use this via ifDescr mrtg sees the dot and
> thinks this is an OID, a wrongly written OID, so it's obiously not
> working, I've tried to escape the dot to no avail, is there any way to
> overcome this? shall an upgrade to lattest mrtg include this in the
> fixed bugs? (sorry I am asking but look as I could I couldn't find a
> changelog for mrtg that's why I ask here).

We monitor thousands of targets with dots in them under 2.10.15 with no
problems; you should include a device that has frame relay subinterfaces
on it as part of your test of 2.10.15 before you roll it into production
to verify it works in your environment.

Matt