[mrtg] ifIn/OutOctets + linux eth question

Keswani, Abhinav Abhinav.Keswani at news.com.au
Wed Nov 17 06:36:21 MET 2004

Hi there,

I am finding really unbelieveable stats coming out of one of the stats I am
collecting through my new MRTG setup.

The network traffic on 'quiet' linux hosts is 640Mbps!  That cant be
right...and I have done the RTFM thing to no avail...

We dont even have a pipe big enough to handle such traffic :)

Probably something really simple I am screwing up.

Here is the definition in the config file:

Target[host.network]:
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.2&.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.2:community at ipaddress
Directory[host.network]: squid/data
Options[host.network]: nopercent,noinfo,growright,bits
Title[host.network]: Network Data
PageTop[host.network]: <H1>Network Data</H1>
MaxBytes[host.network]: 100000
kMG[host.network]: k,M,G,T
kilo[host.network]: 1024
YLegend[host.network]: bits/sec
ShortLegend[host.network]: bits/sec
LegendI[host.network]: In
LegendO[host.network]: Out
Legend1[host.network]: Data In
Legend2[host.network]: Data Out

The log file for a host with this definition:

1100669506 1975817743 4202082660
1100669506 86855 98579 86855 98579
1100668915 97375 112641 97375 112641
1100668800 97375 112641 97375 112641
1100668500 97118 112660 97375 112692
1100668200 96707 112692 96707 112692
1100667900 83976 97365 96707 112692
1100667600 63496 72710 63496 72710
1100667300 62003 68750 63496 72710
1100667000 59764 62810 59764 62810

Can someone please explain to me why the traffic rate is being calculated so
high?

-A