[mrtg] Need help getting MRTG to monitor Foundry Switches

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Sat Oct 16 21:02:59 MEST 2004

Hi,

After a bunch of attempts and some help from some very kind people, I have MRTG running and monitoring my linux box.  Now I am trying to extend this to our Foundry switches.  I created a config file for our core switch (a foundry FastIron Edge 4802) by entering the following command

cfgmaker --output=/etc/mrtg/arthur.cfg -ifref=ip --global "workdir: /var/www/mrtg" --snmp-options=:::::2 public at 192.168.0.228

(its all one line)

the cfgmaker seems to run properly, but had some errors in the run that stated it was dropping back to V1, so I reran the config specifying v 1 under the snmp-options section, and it ran without errors.

The problem comes when I try to run the indexmaker, it runs without error, but then when I access the index.html that was created, there is no graph of anything.

I'm real new to MRTG and Linux both, but if I had to guess, the problem is somehow that no data is being gathered from the switch.  But I'm not sure.  I'm working from a cookbook config that I found on the web, and I want to monitor network traffic through the switch etc.

If any one can help, please feel free to contact me via list or on YahooIM as W8TAH, or AOL IM as W8TAHHAM

Thanks

Tim Holmes

IT Manager
Medina Christian Academy, Inc.