[mrtg] Re: bits per second to Mega Bytes per second

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Wed Oct 27 20:05:30 MEST 2004

Abimael R. Sergio wrote:

> You are saying me that I need not to change the MaxBytes[fred]: 12500000
>
> Is it?

The actual Maximum Bytes that you'll see on the port hasn't changed. All
you want to change is how the data is displayed. You did that with the
Bits (or removal of) parameter.  Using the Bits option merely multiplies
the result of the rate by 8 to convert from bytes to bits.

 >    <TR><TD>Max Speed:</TD>  <TD>100.0 Mbits/s</TD></TR>

Now, if you want to have this section changed automatically, you'll need
to re-run cfgmaker and LEAVE OUT the '--global "options[_]: bits"' part
of the command line.  MRTG by default will format everything in bytes
instead of bits, unless you tell it otherwise.

Eric Brander