[mrtg] Re: MS SQL Log size + Percent Used

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Sep 7 02:44:54 MEST 2004

>I need to monitor a file size for a remote MS SQL Database.
>In a ideal
>world I'd use SNMP then use the Microsoft OID provided.
>But Microsoft in their infinite wisdom provide the world worst
>implementation of SNMP for SQL.  So it just doesn't work.
>Has anybody managed to do this? Failing that is there a simple way to
>monitor a remote file size?
We monitor MSSQL here, using the pNSclient agent.  This lets you query any
Perfmon counter, as well as filesizes, CPU, memory, disk, etc.

pNSclient is an agent for Nagios (netsaint) but I have a query tool that
also outputs the values in MRTG format.  This is available bundled with
routers2.cgi and on my website

Let me know if you want some MRTG templates for basic MSSQL monitoring

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Size: 155 bytes