[mrtg] Re: cfgmaker and HSRP

Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt glratt at rice.edu
Fri Sep 10 10:13:54 MEST 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Mordechai T. Abzug wrote:

> Is there any way to get MRTG's cfgmaker to skip HSRP IPs in Cisco
> routers when run with --ifref=ip?  When I run cfgmaker with
> --ifref=ip, cfgmaker sometimes uses the "real" IP, sometimes the HSRP
> IP.  I'd like it to always use the "real" IP.
>
> Ciscos store HSRP addresses in:
>
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.106.1.2.1.1.11
>
> I've poked around some in the code, and it looks non-trivial -- in
> particular, it seems like the real problem is in MRTG_lib.pm.
> MRTG_lib.pm's storeincache assumes that if there is a duplicate to
> keep the first and label latter entries as "DUP", when in fact a
> latter one is "preferred" if HSRP entries are present.

Actually, I think the problem is with the SNMP MIB as much as aught
else. I've seen this problem with any number of SNMP-based tools,
including my own scripts, with multiply-address interfaces - the MIB
has no way of differentiating a primary from a secondary address,
so tools like MRTG will often get one or the other at random.

	-g

				Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt
				Rice University Networking
				glratt at rice.edu