[mrtg] Re: rddtool question

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Sep 12 23:01:43 MEST 2004

>If one of the servers goes down, the other servers graphs have
>massive gaps in them.
One thing that can cause this is timeouts.  If you have a lot of targets for
one server, it is possible that your MRTG instance will spend so much time
waiting for responses from the dead server that it has no time left in the
window to poll the other servers, hence the grey bars.

I get around this by splitting the cfgs into a dozen separate sets, and then
running forks=5 for each set, and decreasing the timeout down to 4 sec for a
SNMP response or pns/nrpe connect.  This stops down hosts from blocking too
much.

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Size: 155 bytes