[mrtg] Re: latency on mrtg

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Sep 15 14:30:59 MEST 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 02:22:34PM +0300, stevan wrote:

> a) I need the recommended way to get MRTG to measure latency. we want to =
> monitor the link between our device and the Clients device, Plot the =
> latency into a graph and make it available to the Client through the web =
> interface, I found a script called mrtgping.pl for checking latency. I =
> also configured the MRTG config file for the same. But when i execute =
> the script it throws certain error's They are:
> WARNING: Running '/tmp/mrtgping.pl X.X.X.1': No such file or directory
> Warning: could not get any data from external command '/tmp/mrtgping/pl =
> 213.12.226.1'=20
> may be the external command did not even start: (no such file or =
> directory)

First of all: not all agree on ping being a suitable tool to measure
latency.

Things to check:

-1- does the command exist at the indicated location?
-2- does the interpreter (perl !) exist at the indicated location?
-3- does the script work from the commandline and ALSO from cron?
-4- are you able to get satisfactory results before you try and
    integrate it into mrtg?

First try this dummy script and see if that works:

  #!/bin/sh
  echo 100
  echo 200
  echo some time
  echo nameofbox

Name it testscript.sh, place it where you want, Call it from mrtg,
check the logfile for values 100 and 200.  If that works, at least
you know you can get >something< in working order.

Now debug the ping program and get it working (NOT from MRTG). When
this works, concentrate on getting it working as an external command
for MRTG.

HTH
Alex
--
You want an answer?  You'd better follow the following guidelines!
Linesize well below 80 chars. Reply to the list, not to me. Trim