[mrtg] Re: MRTG and APC UPS

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Fri Sep 17 01:43:56 MEST 2004

Nicolas Raddatz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to monitor my APC Smart-UPS RT 5000 XL and APC Environmental
> Management System (EMS) AP 9320 using MRTG (Windows Platform). I've
> researched quite a lot, but still have some problems.
>
> Do you know what OIDs are available for them? Or maybe an example MRTG
> cfg file? I have found the following for the UPS:
>
> Runtime in minutes: 1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.3.0
> Unfortunately, the retrieved value is of no use, since MRTG doesn't
> understand what '0:30:00' means (30 minutes) and I get a nice ERROR:
> Target[ups_1][_IN_] ' $$target[0]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data
> I could do a script to parse this, and have been investigating, I found a
> snmpget for Windows (net-snmp), but haven't been able to get anything from
> the UPS via command line. Strange. Using getif I can connect to it via SNMP.

Have you searched the list archives, and/or done a general web search?
I've answered questions about monitoring APC UPS units several times,
and you'll find the link http://members.urdirect.net/mrtg/ups/ quite
helpful.  Aside from sample MRTG configurations, you'll find companion
scripts that convert times into a number of minutes.

pt