[mrtg] Re: MRTG and Multiple switches

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 10:09:52 MEST 2004

> I have three Dell 3324 managed switches chained together in multiple
> vlans.  I am using routers.cgi as my front end. I ran cfgmaker against
> the stack and it returned over 200 graphs. The only thing I can figure
> is that it attempted to create a graph for every MAC address in the
> switch's routing table. By process of elimination I am fairly certain I
> have the correct machines identified in the first 24 ports of the switch
> stack. Where it falls apart is the second and third switches. Port #2-e1
> which is the first port in the second switch, should corespond to
> interface 26 (Ports 1-25 on switch #1, ports 26-50 on switch #2and so
> forth) but I get no data returned. I then set up interfaces 27 to 48 and
> set up a test machine on a unused port but still get no data. How should
> I go about configuring these multiple switch stacks?
No idea how your particular Switch works, but 3com uses the port numbering
scheme of UnitPort, making port 5 on unit 2 show as port number 205. You
need to investigate how Dell do it.
How, you ask.
Walk the Mib tree (eg using GetIf), and look at the ifDescr and ifType for
each port number. You will see which are actual ports and which are
monitoring of VLANs, serial ports and other things.
Then you will see which you are interested in, and which you wish to
ignore

Peter