[mrtg] Re: Multi-Config Confussion!

Davis, Steve steve.davis at eds.com
Fri Apr 1 22:55:04 MEST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch [mailto:mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch]
On Behalf Of PAUL WILLIAMSON
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 12:42 PM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Re: Multi-Config Confussion!

>>> "Davis, Steve" <steve.davis at eds.com> 04/01/05 3:16 PM >>>
> I have a master.cfg file which contains the following lines:
>
> WithPeak[_]: ym
> Options[_]: bits, growright
> Imagedir: /images/
> Icondir: /images/
> RunAsDaemon: yes

>>One problem here (well, two), you need to include the other two "dir"
directives.  Iif you use Imagedir and Icondir, >>you need to use htmldir
and logdir as well.
>>You may have these named in the configs below...

I have the htmldir and logdir specified in each of the files below since
I have a different directory for each device.

> Include: /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/router_c01.cfg
> Include: /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/router_c02.cfg
> Include: /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/switch_a01.cfg
> Include: /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/switch_a05.cfg
> Include: /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/switch_a06.cfg
>
> When I execute "mrtg master.cfg" I see the typical "bash-2.05$
> Daemonizing MRTG ..." but the included files don't seem to be
> updating.  I can run each one individually and it seems to work ok.  I

> have over a hundred devices and don't want to run a different process
> for each one of them.  Can someone throw me a bone?

>>There's no need for that silliness.  The files shouldn't update.  The
resulting log or rrd files should.  Are the timestamps not current?

Paul

I'm not certain I understand what you mean about "The files shouldn't
update..."  I believe the timestamp is correct.  I was under the
impression (perhaps MISimpression) that I could have a single (or
couple) master.cfg file that contained the names of each .cfg file that
I wanted to be called.  My current setup seems to only call the first
Include: file.cfg

I hate to be a pest, but why does each .cfg file work properly, but I'm
unable to call them from the master.cfg?

Thanks for any assistance.
Steve