[mrtg] Re: One Master Config versus Several

Davis, Steve steve.davis at eds.com
Wed Apr 6 23:00:04 MEST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch [mailto:mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch]
On Behalf Of PAUL WILLIAMSON
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 1:28 PM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Re: One Master Config versus Several

>>> <Chuck.Coker at rcc.edu> 04/06/05 4:13 PM >>>
> Hi Folks,
>
> My MRTG box is underpowered and this causes a lot of problems.
> Unfortunately, I don't have many options.

>> Generally, this causes problems with any software.

> Currently, I have one master config file that is arranged like this:
>
> mrtg.cfg
>
>     Include: router-1.cfg
>     Include: router-2.cfg
>     Include: router-3.cfg
>     Include: switch-1.cfg
>     Include: switch-2.cfg
>     Include: switch-3.cfg
>
> and so on.

>> Good idea, bad implementation.
>  After I include x number of devices, the MRTG script can't complete
> its polling cycle in five minutes or less and I have a new instance of

> MRTG starting before the last one has finished. Eventually this leads
> to an "out of swap space" condition which locks up the box.

>> Yep, I'd expect that.  Windows or *nix?

>  I was wondering if it would help to arrange files like this:
>
> mrtg-1.cfg
>
>     Include: router-1.cfg
>     Include: switch-1.cfg
>
> mrtg-2.cfg
>
>     Include: router-2.cfg
>     Include: switch-2.cfg

<snip> etc...

> and have cron start them one minute apart.

>> Sounds good.

> My thoughts are that doing all that including in a single mrtg.cfg
> file eats up a lot of resources and I could make better use of what I
> have by spreading things around a little bit.
>

>> Makes perfect sense.  One process to manage a smaller subset.  Normal
system admin type stuff.

> Has anyone tried this? If so, what happened? Would this help stop
> overlapping processes? Or would it still have the same problem just
> with more files to maintain and worry about?

>> This should help your situation.  If you're on *nix, you could also
increase the forks.  If you're on windows, you >> could try using
FireDaemon/Mr. Daemon if you aren't already.

>> Or, switch to RRDTool backend and eliminate the pesky html redraws
every 5 minutes.

> Thanks,
> Chuck

>> Paul

Chuck - I'm still trying to do the same thing myself.  When I run the
individual .cfg files, they work perfectly.  However, when I try to
include them from a master.cfg, the included files do not run.  I tried
starting it with -logging but it only showed that it ran successfully.
Can you post an exam of EXACTLY what your master.cfg file contains?

Thanks
Steve