[mrtg] Re: One Master Config versus Several

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Apr 7 02:09:01 MEST 2005

>My MRTG box is underpowered and this causes a lot of problems.
>Unfortunately, I don't have many options.
>Currently, I have one master config file that is arranged like this:

Your best thing to do would be to start using RRDTool for your backend
rather than .log files, you'd save *huge* amounts of time.  Display the data
using routers2 (or mrtg-rrd, or 14all, whichever you prefer... I'm biased!)
and the graphs are only generated on demand, not every 5 minutes.

Next, if you are doing data collection on a UNIX server, look at the Forks:
directive.  This will allow you to tell MRTG to run a set number of
collection threads in parallel, rather than the single collection thread you
have at the moment.

If you are using Windows, you can't use the Forks: directive.  Instead,
split things up into multiple master .cfg files, and run them
simultaneously.  This effectively gives you that number of threads.

Hope this helps,

Steve