[mrtg] Re: One Master Config versus Several

MrPaulAR mrpaular at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 06:13:42 MEST 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 7:09 PM, Steve Shipway <s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> Your best thing to do would be to start using RRDTool for your backend
> rather than .log files, you'd save *huge* amounts of time.  Display the data
> using routers2 (or mrtg-rrd, or 14all, whichever you prefer... I'm biased!)
> and the graphs are only generated on demand, not every 5 minutes.

Yea, I'm polling several hundred devices/interfaces and on a big fat
Sun E450 I was getting about 30% IO wait and one polling cycle would
take about 2-3 minutes to complete.  When I switched to rrd for data
storage IO disappeared and now the same job takes like 30 seconds to
run.

Switch to RRD.  You'll like it in the end...probably love it once you
learn it.  You can also setup RRD to store more historical but that's
for another mailing list.

Paul