[mrtg] Problems mixing 32/64 bits counters

Francesco Ferreri f.ferreri at namex.it
Thu Apr 7 09:52:00 MEST 2005

Hi All,
I'm new to this list: we're using MRTG to monitor traffic flowing through
two switches in our IXP; we gather information about every interface on
each switch and then we compute overall sum of traffic for every device,
the
problem is:

- switch 1 (Enterasys) supports 64 bits counters
- switch 2 (Dell) only supports 32 bits counters

we defined a target which is the sum of overall traffic flowing through
switch 1 & 2, but we can see that data collected by this third target are
wrong, in the sense that global traffic is not equal to the sum of
switch 1 & 2, furthermore
the graph seems to be irregular, with lots of spikes and heavy ripplei
(se http://www.namex.it for details). We
think this is due to some error in adding values coming from 32 bits
counters with values coming from 64 bits counters. We also poll each
device once a minute. Has anyone had similar problems ? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Francesco Ferreri

Francesco Ferreri