[mrtg] Newbie - setting up templates

Cristine Warring cwarring at weci.net
Fri Apr 15 16:26:18 MEST 2005

Hello -

I have mrtg up and running on RedHat, both polling hosts and interfaces.
However, due to the number of devices I need to monitor and Somix's
repository, I want to use templates to make this easier to get started
and maintain long-term.

The newbie question is:

How/where do I set the Perl variables so I don't get Perl errors when I
run cfgmaker?  I've searched the FAQ, the listserv archive, Google, and
cannot find any step by step examples.

Here's my cfgmaker call, my template, and the errors - much TIA -
Cristine

bin/cfgmaker \

     --global 'WorkDir: /home/sites/mrtg' \

     --global 'RunAsDaemon: Yes' \

     --output /home/sites/mrtg/cfg/aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd.cfg \

     --ifref=name \

     --ifdesc=name \

     --show-op-down \

     --subdirs=HOSTNAME \

     --if-template=/home/sites/mrtg/cfg/cisco.template \

     public at aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

ECHO

$target_lines .= <<ECHO

Target[$targetname]: #1/1:public at aaa.bbb.ccc.dddd"

MaxBytes[$targetname]: 1250000"

Options[$targetname]: bits, unknaszero

Title[$targetname]: 3550

PageTop[$targetname]: <H1>Cisco 3550</H1>

YLegend[$targetname]: Port Utilization

LegendI[$targetname]: In

LegendO[$targetname]: Out

Legend1[$targetname]: Inbound Bits

Legend2[$targetname]: Outbound Bits

Legend3[$targetname]: INBOUND Max value per interval on graph

Legend4[$targetname]: OUTBOUND Max value per interval on graph

Colours[$targetname]: GREEN#00eb0c,BLUE#0000ff,GRAY#AAAAAA,VIOLET#ff00ff

WithPeak[$targetname]: ymw

ECHO

----------------------------

<snip earlier cfgmaker output>

Evaluation of the contents in the file

/home/sites/mrtg/cfg/cisco.template

gave the error

"Global symbol "$targetname" requires explicit package name at (eval 4)
line 3, <IF_TEMPLATE> line 20.

[...]

"

Cristine Warring
Internet Services