[mrtg] mrtg process questions

Cristine Warring cwarring at weci.net
Tue Apr 19 18:30:20 MEST 2005

Hello-

I've just in the last week got mrtg, rrdtool, and routers2.cgi up and
running for 12 devices on a RedHat server (i.e. - I'm a newbie).  I've
noticed though, that mrtg is not logging process up and downs even
though the process is started with logging turned on. (mrtg -logging
/var/log/mrtg.log).  The cfg files only have LogFormat: rrdtool.  Mrtg
has never used this log file since I've set up RRDTool.

What happens then, is a device looked like it died at 3pm when in fact,
I was restarting the mrtg process while configuring a new device.

How do I configure mrtg to log process type messages so we have a log of
process start/stops?  Or is there a way to get this from RRDTool?

Thanks in advance -

Cristine Warring
Internet Services

Wheatland Broadband Services
101 Main Street
PO Box 230
Scott City, KS 67871
cwarring at weci.net <mailto:cwarring at weci.net>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and any included attachments are from Wheatland Electric
Cooperative (dba Wheatland Broadband Services) and are intended only for
the addressee. The information contained in this message is confidential
and may constitute inside or non-public information under international,
federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing,
copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly
e-mail or you may call Wheatland's corporate offices in Scott City,
Kansas, U.S.A at (+1) (620)872-5885.