[mrtg] Re: Using MRTG for Co-Lo billing.

John Gorkos jgorkos at wildcatwireless.net
Thu Aug 11 17:43:24 MEST 2005

I know.  Other than kernel version and maybe hw type, there's not much
anyone's going to get from the post.  I've been hacked once in three years,
and it was a known proftpd hole that I was ignoring.  No-one is going to
waste a zero-day exploit on my itty-bitty server, and I pray at the bugtraq
temple, so I think I'm about as OK as anyone else out there.  Face it, if you
want secure, unplug it..

That doesn't mean I'm trying to challenge anyone to bang on my server.  I'm
already arguing with my provider about b/w usage, let's not exacerbate
things.

Thanks for the concern, though.  Back on the subject, there's been some
speculation that this is a bit/byte conversion math issue and nothing more.
I need to re-run the numbers, but I'm not sure that's what it is.

Does MRTG annotate roll-overs in the .log file in any way, or is it only
storing delta and calculated delta (in the case of roll-over)?  Being lazy, I
don't use the rrdtool datastore for these particular graphs.  Can I just do
something similar to an "rrdtool dump" on the log file and mathematically
reconstruct usage over the last 30 days?

John Gorkos