[mrtg] Re: Circuit Utilization Graph vs. Volume/Usage Graph with MRTG

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Sat Aug 13 01:45:33 MEST 2005

> I am looking at Frame Relay circuits and I would like to know how long the
> bursts are last. Perhaps all I need help with is MRTG terminology vs. the
> terminology from other monitoring tools.
> How does MRTG calculate the usage/day? Is there another graph that
> reflects circuit utilization every 5 - 60 mins? For instance a line graph
> vs. a bar graph or is MRTG only accumulative?

The top graph (daily) is marked "5 Minute Average". Each sample on that
graph represents the average traffic over a 5 minute sample interval as
determined from the starting and ending values of the byte counter on the
interface in question during the sample period.

The next graph (weekly) is marked "30 Minute Average". Each sample on that
graph represents the average traffic over a 30 minute period as determined
from the average of the six 5-minute samples during that time.

The next graph (monthly) is marked "2 Hour Average". Each sample on that
graph represents the average traffic over a 2 hour period as determined
from the average of the four 30-minute samples during that time.

The last graph (yearly) is marked "1 Day Average". Each sample on that
graph represents the average traffic over a 24 hour period as determined
in a similar fasion to the other three graphs.

Each graph going down displays samples representing the average traffic
over longer periods of time. You loose fine-detail resolution with each
successive graph, but you see a larger period of time as well.

     -Bill