[mrtg] mrtg/snmpget weirdness

brunon at abstynenci.org brunon at abstynenci.org
Thu Aug 25 13:59:52 MEST 2005

Hello,

I'm using mrtg 2.11.1, and despite small glitches (usually caused by my
own ignorance) it runs ok. However, ugly thing happened to my MRTG today.

Looks like mrtgish implementation of snmpget works differently than
ucd-snmp. UCD's snmpget gives me desired output, quickly displaying a
value of queried OID (just plain "gauge" value - number of ppp
sessions). But the same OID, properly configured in MRTG gives me "did
not eval into defined data" message and puts "-1 -1" into a logfile.
That's puzzling me. Value read by UCD's snmpget
is way below "MaxBytes" value (and yes, I turned off "bits"), everything
else seems right too.

It's annoying as hell. I have no idea how to get rid of this problem and
couldn't find anything about it in the interweb. Anyone had (and resolved)
similiar problem?

Thanks in advance,
Lukasz