[mrtg] Re: Ok, this is fun, how can I monitor arbitrary data now

Scott Haneda lists at newgeo.com
Tue Dec 6 11:10:41 MET 2005

on 12/6/05 1:22 AM, Koelstra, J. (Jan) at JKoelstra at MINSZW.NL wrote:

> If you can get the data via command line then you can script it. MRTG can
> graph the results if your script provides the right output format.
>
> Have a look at the section "External Monitor Scripts" in the
> MRTG-reference.html.

Ok, I don't entirely get it, do I need to install something like netSNMP and
feed my data to that, and have mrtg get it from there?

For example, lets say I can get CPU temp at will, do I run a cron job to get
it once every minute or so, and then have MRTG get the data from its output?
If so, how do you do this, there is no user at hostname format to a plain text
file that I will dump data to.