[mrtg] Base logic for external arbitrary data to mrtg

Scott Haneda lists at newgeo.com
Wed Dec 7 03:07:54 MET 2005

I run an old cranky email server, it does not provide me much in the way of
message counts.  I do want to get this into mrtg.

What I can do now, is roll email logs once a day, and grep out a sent and
received count, plus datestamp.

Of course, I don't want to do this on years worth of logs every single
minute, so I need to know the logic to get mrtg to be happy.

I don't fully understand what MRTG does under the hood to get the "data over
time" parts.

Is it kinda of like, once every 5 minutes, I want to get the last chunk of
log data from the email server up to the point where the last data was
taken, get my counts, and store those somewhere that mrtg can grab them?

Just seems like there is a little window for margin of error, and I am not
seeing how this all works from a very general perspective.