[mrtg] Re: Base logic for external arbitrary data to mrtg

Scott Haneda lists at newgeo.com
Thu Dec 8 08:55:54 MET 2005

on 12/6/05 6:42 PM, PAUL WILLIAMSON at pwilliamson at mandtbank.com wrote:

> Remember that MRTG was designed to report data
> flowing through a network interface in five minute
> intervals.  It has evolved into being able to report
> on any integer rate of change over time, typically
> in 5 min, 30 min, 2 hour and 24 hour increments.

Ok, I have a small daemon that does some stuff to my mail logs and gets me
the data I think I need.

Right now, if I call the program, it returns to me something like this:

1134028166 15 50
Where 15 is sent emails and 50 is received

I am stuck on these docs:
<http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg-logfile.html>

Are those just an explanation of the log file that mrtg makes from my data,
and I have currently sufficient data to run mrtg stats on my mail logs?

Or is there an additional set of lines I need to add that  I am missing?

I think I can just do this based on the above data?
Target[mail.localhost]: `/usr/local/bin/mail_server_count`
# What do I put in for maxbytes, not really applicable here?
MaxBytes[smtp.localhost]: 1250000
Title[mail.localhost]: Local Mail Traffic
PageTop[mail.netsrv]: <H1>Local Mail Traffic</H1>