[mrtg] Re: Problems with interfaces running at GigE speed

Shane Presley shane.presley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 19:09:51 MET 2005

I'm having the same problem I think.  Using MRTG to monitor my Cisco
switch (using 64bit counters) I show 40MB/s of traffic.  But pointing
to our Solaris server, which runs Net-SNMP for that same interface, it
shows 12MB/s.

Trying to add ::::2 to the end, yields this...

--base: snmpget string at host.domain.com:162::::2 for ifHighSpeed.1 ->  Mb/s
--base: snmpget string at host.domain.com:162::::2 for ifHCInOctets.1 ->
--base: check for HighspeedCounters faild ... Droping back to V1
--base: snmpget string at host.domain.com:162::::2 for ifHighSpeed.2 ->  Mb/s
--base: snmpget string at host.domain.com:162::::2 for ifHCInOctets.2 ->
--base: check for HighspeedCounters faild ... Droping back to V1

So do I have to do something to enable 64bit counters?
Shane