[mrtg] Re: Whats after MRTG?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Dec 18 22:13:48 MET 2005

Dan McDonald wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 11:06 -0600, Matt Kowske wrote:
> > got it all setup I ran across somethings about rrdtool.  Is this a
> > replacement for MRTG?
> No, it is a replacement for rateup, which is the default
> back-end data storage program for mrtg.
> >  Should I be using it instead?
> That depends...
> 1.  Do you need sub-integer precision?
> 2.  Do you need to poll more than every 5 minutes?
> 3.  Do you need to graph negative numbers?
> 4.  Are you CPU bound with graph generation when you poll?
> 5.  Do you need to stack graphs and do other custom graphing?

6. Do you have a lot of data to collect?
7. Are you having preformance issues on your MRTG system?

Note that, if you switch to RRDTool, this is *only* for the data backend.
You will still use MRTG to collect the data, and so configuration is just
the same - you dont need to lose anything.  The main difference is that,
when using RRDTool, MRTG will not re-generate the graphs each polling
interval.  Instead, you use a CGI application to do this on-demand (hence
the performance win).

Lots more discussion about this is available on the RRDTool website.

Steve