[mrtg] Re: Confused on in/out

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Dec 30 14:54:55 MET 2005

Sure thing -

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg-reference.html

And search for "Reversing" in that document.

Paul

>>> "Westley Chang" <ChangW at gao.gov> 12/30/05 8:51 AM >>>
Paul,
  I was reading the in/out problem from Scott Haneda and it appears
that my MRTG graphs are alway displaying the same predicament.  Is there
any way you can kindly show me in the MRTG documentation where I can
switch the the two parameters?  Please advise.  Thanks!

               Wes

>>> "PAUL WILLIAMSON" <pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> Friday, December 30,
2005 8:16 AM >>>
>>> "Scott Haneda" <lists at newgeo.com> 12/30/05 2:27 AM >>>
> Just added an http server to mrtg today, all this is pretty new, a
> new dell switch.  As a test, I downloaded a large file at around
> 8000kb/s
>
> MRTG reports this in green, and labels it as 'in'.
>
> Would this be wrong?  I would thing that a download, would
> be 'Out' not 'In'.  I know I saw somewhere in the docs you can
> reverse this, but my question is, why is the default showing this
> to me backwards, or am I just seeing this in the wrong perspective?

Scott,

It would seem like this is backwards from your perspective.  But,
are you monitoring the port on the server side, the client side,
or the backplane of the switch?  Are you also monitoring the
port of the server where the web server is running?  It could
be that you are seeing the inbound bytes and because it is a
switch, snmp doesn't pick up on any other traffic on the outbound
side.  Or, it could be that the inbound and outbound counters
just need to be flipped.

Paul