[mrtg] Re: mrtg, extOutput.1, snmp

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Dec 30 21:18:28 MET 2005

Sounds about right.  Just multiply the output by 300 or multiply
by 60 and add perminute to the options.  Or, just change the
description to say "messages per second" unless you want to
track "messages per 5 minutes."  To me, it sounds better to scale
it to something like "messages per minute" or something similar.

MRTG does rates of change over time.  You might be able to fiddle
with the options like making it a gauge or any number of other
ways to get the number you are looking for.

"Sendmail statistics" is a bit vague.  Do you want to convey
messages per a specific time interval?

Paul

>>> "VCI Help Desk" <admin at vci.net> 12/30/05 2:34 PM >>>
    Apparently, I still have something wrong and I can't find it.
Here's
what I have in mrtg.cfg  The values that I get thru SNMP are the
mailstats
that are constantly incrementing and do not reset. When I view the
graph it
says the past 5 minutes there were .5 messages sent. This should be
about
200 messages.

    I believe the problem is MRTG is calculating the difference between
the
values retrieved over the last 5 minutes and dividing that by 300
seconds.
Is there some way I can tell it to not divide by 300? Does this right?

Target[test]: extOutput.1&extOutput.2:xxxsnmp at smtp.xx.xxx
Title[test]: smtp Sendmail Statistics
PageTop[test]: <h1>smtp Sendmail Statistics</H1>
MaxBytes[test]: 1000
Options[test]: growright, nopercent

Target[test2]: extOutput.1&extOutput.2:xxxsnmp at smtp2.xx.xxx
Title[test2]: smtp2 Sendmail Statistics
PageTop[test2]: <h1>smtp2 Sendmail Statistics</H1>
MaxBytes[test2]: 1000
Options[test2]: growright, nopercent

      Bill