[mrtg] Re: ISDN Interface Monitoring

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Wed Feb 9 20:36:40 MET 2005

mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch wrote:
> Greeting,
> I have recently received a $26,000 USD bill from my ISDN carrier.
> We employ 128k ISDN circuit at key remote branches to backup a VPN
> tunnel. As the result of a router misconfiguration, the ISDN circuit
> was dialing-up the head office router every 2 minutes for the last
> month. Unfortunately, international toll charges applied.  :(
>
> Does anyone know of a SNMP application that will monitor the ISDN
> interface on the remote router and send a notification (pager
> or email)
> when that interface is up?  I've looked at CiscoWorks, but the cost
> is too much.
>
> Not sure if there is something in MRTG that can accomplish this?
>
> Thanks in advance you your help!
>
> -Brad

I'm not sure if you can do it with MRTG either, but I'm betting that
there is a way... If so, someone will most likely reply with an answer.
However, this sounds like a job for Nagios - http://www.nagios.org/.

A simple shell script run from cron should work well too, using snmpget
to check the status of the interface and then email you if it is up. You
could probably even just grab the Nagios plugins package and use the
check_ifstatus plugin (or something similar) if this is all that you
wanted to monitor.

As for CiscoWorks, the cost can be high, but I'll bet you can get it for
less than $26k/month.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.273.5050 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)