[mrtg] Re: ISDN Interface Monitoring

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 9 21:25:51 MET 2005

>Does anyone know of a SNMP application that will monitor the
>ISDN interface on the remote router and send a notification
>(pager or email) when that interface is up?  I've looked at
>CiscoWorks, but the cost is too much.
>
>Not sure if there is something in MRTG that can accomplish this?

How about this.

Set your ISDN router to *not* bring up on ICMP, but still to pass it if the
list *is* up.

Then just monitor the remote interface with an ICMP ping.  If you get a
response, the line is up.  If you get 'unreachable' or timeout, then it's
down.

Then set a 'service notify' for the ping for 'recovery' (so you get notified
when the line comes up) and hook this to a user or dummy user with a pager
notify.

I had a similar problem (although not internationally) a few years back
caused by Netware 4 licensing key checks.  Cost ukp10k.

Steve