[mrtg] Re: Creating Graph

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Feb 11 20:30:58 MET 2005

Yeah, something like that.  Keep in mind that unless you are
putting in the exact information MRTG expects, rateup may
die a horrible, big, flamming deathball.

I'm not saying you need to run RRDTool to do this.  You should
use the external program call function built in to MRTG.  When
you start manipulating the log files outside of the MRTG process,
don't expect the process to behave well when it comes across
an unexpected situation.  This might include values not at the
step interval, locked files not available for reading, incorrectly
formatted numbers, rolling numeric averages computed
incorrectly.

All I'm saying is that you may not have a perfectly fine
MRTG server if it runs into a situation for with you have not
accounted.

Paul

>>> "Anson Rinesmith" <arinesmith at bigrivertelephone.com> 2/11/2005
2:11:56 PM >>>
I am not using RRDTool, I have an existing server that has been running
for
close on to 4 years now. I don't fix what isn't broke.

So in this case, if I have created "myownlog.log", I could just call
#rateup.exe myownlog.log ?

> You need to poll it from MRTG's perspective.  Just make MRTG
> call the external program.  MRTG does some things before writing
> out the log file (like making a backup, normailizing the data,
etc.).
> Plus, the graphs are created after MRTG finishes the poll cycle and
> writes out the log.  Then rateup is called to do the actual
graphing.