[mrtg] Error Message: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed

Chuck.Coker at rcc.edu Chuck.Coker at rcc.edu
Fri Feb 11 20:53:09 MET 2005

I have a FreeBSD 5.1 box running Apache and MRTG. The box isn't used for
anything else. It's been running just fine. Recently I started adding
some new devices to the mrtg.cfg file and I started having problems. I'm
getting a message on the monitor that reads:

swap_pager_getswapspace: failed

I've also seen occasional messages that said something similar to "out
of swap space - can't start perl". I haven't done anything except modify
the mrtg configuration file.

The "top" command reports:

Mem: 1788K Active, 158M Inact, 50M Wired, 15K Cache, 35M Buf, 18M Free
Swap: 490M Total, 6292K Used, 484M Free, 1% Inuse

I've searched the web, using "swap_pager_getswapspace", for information
on how to fix the problem. All I seem to be finding is articles on how
to add a swap file. It appears that many people have asked the same
question I have, without ever getting an answer.

Is there someway of tweaking the system to fix this or is there a work
around?

Can anyone throw some ideas, no matter how wild, my way?

Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck Coker                             chuck.coker (at) rcc.edu
       Riverside Community College, Information Services
4800 Magnolia Avenue, Riverside, California 92506, United States
+1 951 222 8759 (desk)                    +1 951 830 8068 (cell)